Friday, March 27, 2015

My Introduction To Jeremy Renner





Source: This beautiful wallpaper art work is from Deviant Art website by Aiko-Yamada
Link: http://aiko-yamada.deviantart.com/art/Agent-Barton-Thor-cameo-wallpaper-330823943

I thought I'd write about my introduction to Jeremy Renner and how I became a fan.
I've always been keen on superhero movies from Superman to Batman and even watch the bad ones like The Phantom. So no surprise I went to see Thor, anyone who has seen the film will know there is a scene with an archer whom Fury calls on to act as standby backup should he be needed to deal with Thor. It was only a short scene, it was dark, in the pouring rain and the character didn't even participate in the action but for some reason it resonated with me. All I kept thinking about was would the archer reappear and being disappointed when I walked out of the cinema that I hadn't seen him again. Not being a comic book fan I didn't even know the character's name or where he fitted into in the Marvel canon.

So when I got home I looked him up - Jeremy Renner and saw that he was due to be in the upcoming Mission Impossible sequel and The Avengers. I also realised I'd seen him before some years ago in episodes of CSI and Angel. My boss at the time had kept going on about the Mission Impossible films and how great they were but I had a closed mind. The reason was I'd loved the original TV series and had gone to see with my parents the first Tom Cruise Mission Impossible film which came out in 1996 and hated it. They had made Jim Phelps a traitor had could they!

In the summer of 1996 I flew on holiday and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was one of the film options so despite my self-imposed ban I watched it intrigued to see the archer again. I always find it difficult to watch and enjoy films on flights but perservered through the Tomcentric parts helped enormously by the presence of Simon Pegg. And here again was this intriguing new actor Jeremy Renner squaring up to the great Tom Cruise I especially liked the scene with Tom almost a dance scene over the gun, the scenes with Simon Pegg were great but also the vulnerability Jeremy showed in the scenes of guilt he felt for Ethan's wife's death.

By the time I saw The Avengers later that summer I was fully won over and there was no going back my addiction had taken hold and I was tweeting, tumblring and Facebooking with like minded souls all as addicted as me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting that you were introduced to Jeremy Renner through Super Heroes:)

Dawn "Flame" Deveareaux said...

Love it so far. Keep it up!! How can you not love this man and his characters...Especially Hawkeye. Although I am also quite partial to Brian Gamble from SWAT and Jem from The Town. Something about those bad boys that do me in!!!