Thursday, March 19, 2015

Film Review: Kill The Messenger

 
 
 
Having waited so long to see this film and with such high expectations I was concerned that it wouldn't deliver but I needn't have worried. I liked the documentary style opening and I think despite its obviously complex subject the screenplay and the way it was edited set out clearly what had and was happening so I understood and could follow the events even though I had not read Gary Webb's book. Jeremy Renner's performance was a very intense portrayal and movingly conveyed his journey from his euphoria at having achieved what every journalist is searching for THE story to his slow disintegration into despair when he realised his dream was crumbling as the CIA, fellow journalists, TV reporters turned on him. I found the family scenes very poignant and convincing. It was horrible watching the people he trusted the most betray him and you could see that they were doing so reluctantly but doing so nonetheless.


I was under the impression when following the filming that the ending would be different I thought they had included Gary's suicide but instead they only mentioned it as a postscript. I also thought they included him having an affair but what was conveyed was the toil it took on his marriage and his family because again it was only mentioned. But I'm glad this was the case as I feel this would have detracted from the message the story was conveying. So the film wasn't at all exploitative in the way it treated Gary's story despite those that turned on him and destroyed him using his personal life for their own purposes the film itself didn't sensationalise which is so common in Hollywood these days to create a 'good' story. I thought it was a nice touch to see the real Gary Webb with his family in a home movie as the film closed.

I thought the music was a little intrusive at times but I think this was because the theatre I was in was only small being only 4 rows of seats and the sound was too loud. At first I was not sure what purpose was served by seeing Gary occasionally zooming along on his motorbike but I guess it was to convey how important his bike was to him and why he was so upset when it was stolen contributing to his depressed feelings.

I think Jeremy Renner can be very proud of this film and this his first with production company The Combine if he can continue to develop projects of this quality then we are in for some real treats in the future.

Rating - 8/10

No comments: